These are turbulent times, and I’m compelled to do something. Tossed about by a fast-changing world our institutions seem ill-equipped to handle, it’s up to us to right ourselves, and to find some common ground on which we all can land.

In that spirit, and in collaboration with a diverse consortium of non-profit organizations I work with, my son and I are taking a California to D.C. road trip to engage folks in a dialogue about what divides us, what unites us, and how we can move forward, together.

Along the way we’ll test and refine a small group conversation format we hope will contribute to a new, unifying vision for our country: One that “pops the bubbles” of separation to reveal a new foundation for connection and community.

The first half of our trip will culminate in attending the inauguration of Donald Trump on the 20th, and joining the Women’s March on Washington on the 21st. The return trip is as yet unplanned and open to your input.

We leave January 7th and will blog and tweet and live stream as we go. More information to follow in the days ahead, but in the meantime I hope you’ll help spread the word of our journey.

Posted by Kern Beare

13 Comments

1. Great idea and purpose. Keep up the valuable work for building a positive future.
    Dick Powell

1. Thanks, Dick! We’re looking forward to having, and sharing, the adventure!

2. Safe travels to you both and we are looking forward to hearing what you find out, Winslow and Patti

1. Thanks for the well wishes, Winslow and Patti!

3. Kern and Will – Very worthwhile endeavor. We look forward to hearing what you learn. Finding common ground is neither simple nor easy but is essential if we are to meet the challenges of our times with humanity, dignity and collective wisdom. Have fun!

1. Beautifully said, Steve. Thank you!

4. Kern, Will,
    Sounds like an exciting trip. I have friends in Reno that might make for an interesting stop. Let me know if you’d like me to reach out and try to organize something. Of course, if your travels take you through Boulder, you have a warm place to stay!
    jk

1. Excellent, Jon! Reno is our second stop! I will follow up via email. Thanks!

(and Boulder is on the route too!)

5. Don & Virginia Fitton January 1, 2017 at 10:21 am

Way to go Kern and Will. Very creative idea. Looking forward to reading what you discover. Have a safe trip.

6. Enjoy! Be safe.

7. Katherine Siena Hubley January 4, 2017 at 6:14 pm

Kern – I live in Bethesda, MD – just outside DC. Would love to see you… send me a fb message and I’ll send you my e-mail. May also have room for you if you need a place to stay for the inauguration and march!

8. Hi Kern, what a great idea. Trying to understand differing opinions and perceptions seems all the more urgent in today’s world. I look forward very much to reading your blog.

1. Wonderful, Uma! Thank you!